Printed Circuit Board (PCB) is used to mechanically support and electrically connect electronic components using signal traces (PCB tracks) etched from copper sheets laminated onto a non-conductive dielectric substrate. If a PCB has only copper tracks and features, without any circuit components, then it is referred as printed wiring board (PWB) or etched wiring board. A PCB populated with electronic components is called a printed circuit assembly (PCA), printed circuit board assembly or PCB Assembly (PCBA).
Excluding exotic products using special materials or processes, all printed circuit boards manufactured today can be built using the following four items which are usually purchased from manufacturers:
- Copper-clad laminates
- Resin impregnated B-stage cloth (Pre-preg)
- Copper foil
Printed Circuit Boards Classifications
Classification Based on PCB Material
- High Temperature PCB (High Tg PCB) – For electrical equipment of the high temperature environment. Electrical equipment will have better performance, if use High-Temperature PCB in high-temperature operating environment.
- High Frequency PCB (HF PCB) – HF boards are widely used in wireless networks, wireless communications and satellite communications, in particular the popularity of 3G networks exacerbate the market demand for the product on the HF PCB.
- Aluminum PCB (AL PCB) – It is a unique metal-based copper clad laminate, Aluminium PCB provide good thermal conductivity, electrical insulation and mechanical processing properties. Aluminium-based PCB gives thermal best performance and the most cheap cooling solutions.
- Copper Based PCB (Thick Copper PCB)- It has a plate surface smooth, high strength, dimensional stability, easy processing characteristics, in particular its thermal resistance is small, widely used in industrial power equipment, automotive ignition, regulator, speakers, power supply module and other cooling requirements of electronic equipment.
- Iron Based PCB (Iron PCB) – It has a good electromagnetic shielding, good stability and good heat dissipation.
- Halogen-Free PCB – These are environmental friendly to achieve green compliance.
- Rogers PCB – Regular and commercially available boards of low cost and good quality.
- Teflon PCB – Teflon circuit boards are to meet the demand for faster communications in high-speed circuits.
- Nelco PCB – Nelco PCB Laminate is the most proved to be one of the best PCB laminate in the PCB industry, so this is undoubtedly your best choice for custom PCB raw materials.
- Metal-Core PCB – Metal core or IMS (Insulated Metallic Substrate) circuit boards are an excellent alternative to standard circuit boards. Metal core circuit boards can handle large mechanical loads, high level of dimensional stability, and high temperatures.
Classification Based on PCB Process
- High Density PCB – PCB with higher circuit density, usually these are multilayer PCBs
- Impedance Control PCB – Impedance Control circuit boards are able to transmit high-frequency, high-speed signal of the electronic devices such as computers, communications equipment.
- Buried & Blind Via PCB – These are laser-cutting custom made PCBs for customers with blind hole size and buried hole size requirements.
- Gold Finger PCB – Gold Finger is a gold-plated terminal of a card-edge connector.
- Gold Plating PCB – Gold Plating circuit boards can be divided into Immersion Gold PCB ( Chemical Gold PCB ) and Flash Gold PCB, the Immersion Gold PCB more commonly used because of weldability, anti-oxidation and thermal effects of the most good.
- Hot-Air Solder Leveling HASL PCB – The PCB is typically dipped into a bath of molten solder such that all exposed copper surfaces are covered by solder. Excess solder is removed by scraping the PCB with hot air knives. HASL PCB offers excellent wetting during component soldering.
- Heavy Copper PCB – These are generally used for high power distribution, heat dissipation, planar transformers, and power converters.
- Rigid Flex PCB – These are rigid circuit boards made in flexible shapes and sizes.
- Flexible PCB (FPCB) – These circuit boards offer advantages of vibration-resistance, custom-shape, custom-size, multiple bending cycles, better quality and reliability, and better circuit density.
- Single-Sided PCB – It is a PCB that allows component assembly on only one side of the board.
- Double-Sided PCB – It is a PCB that allows component assembly on both sides of the board.
- Multilayer PCB – It is a PCB that has many layers of wiring and planes embedded and laminated in a single board.
- Laser Cooling To Cool Electronics at IC Semiconductor-level
- PCB Printed Circuit Board Types
- Flexible PCB (FPCB) – Flex Circuit Boards
- High-Frequency PCB RF Circuit Boards
- PCB Traces Current Carrying Capacity and Temperature Rise
- High Temperature PCB Designer Guide
- Solderless Assembly for Electronics Manufacturing
- Solar Panel Stickers of Peel-and-Stick Thin-Film Solar PV Cells
- X-Ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy (XRF)
- RoHS XRF X-Ray Fluorescence Analyzer
- RoHS Testing – RoHS Screening
- Software Tools for RoHS REACH Compliance
- RoHS Compliance for RFID Tags
- RoHS Compliance for Wires and Cables in Electrical and Electronics Equipment
- RoHS Exemptions – Is R&D equipment excluded from RoHS ?
- RoHS – Batteries RoHS Compliance
- How REACH and RoHS 2 related to each other?
- RoHS-2 Revision Updates over RoHS-1
- Human Energy Harvesting to Power Portable Devices
- Thermoelectric Tubes Generate Electricity from Hot Water
- PCB Log Periodic Antennas
- Optical Wavelength Meters
- Bypass Capacitor Operation and Noise Ripple Characteristics
- RTOS Software for Embedded Systems
- Bluetooth Vs RFID Comparison